November 5, 2012

Dill Pickle Soup



So there I was, minding my own business.  Running errands, doing chores.  Then I glance over and see a little note scribbled by my husband and all it said was "pickle soup".  Really? What the heck does that mean?  So I say to my beloved, what does pickle soup mean? He says, I want you to make it.

Because that's clearly something we eat here all the time.  I mean pickle soup is always on my menu.

No it isn't.

I do enjoy pickles immensely however. We all do, which is a good thing considering I agreed to try this recipe he found.  Do you want to know how he discovered this recipe? Food Network's Diners, Drive-in's and Dives. Gotta love The Food Network!



Potato's and shredded carrots in the pot.



Shred up some pickles.




Make a paste out of flour and sour cream, add some water to thin out slightly.





I was pleasantly surprised by this soup and so was my husband.  We sort of went into it thinking that it would be fun to try something new and if we didn't like it then at least we tried it.  But actually, my husband went back for seconds and we had the leftovers last night for dinner and we still agree that it's a nice change up from some of the other more typical soups.

I did add additional pickle juice when I was reheating the leftovers and it was perfect.  Cream with chunks of potato.  The carrots add a nice color and texture even though you really can't taste them that much. This is a super thick soup, even thicker than a chowder. You could certainly thin it out some more just by adding water if you wanted to, but I liked it thick like this.

I would definitely put this one on your list of soups to try, but only if you're a pickle lover as there is no getting around the pickle taste here.



Dill Pickle Soup


Ingredients
  • 5 Tbsp butter or margarine
  • 3 medium carrots, shredded
  • 2 large potatoes, cubed
  • 3 large dill pickles, shredded
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • salt
  • pickle juice
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, combine 5 cups of water, carrots and the potatoes. Bring to a boil.
  2. When the potatoes are tender add the shredded pickles and continue to boil.
  3. Meanwhile, combine the sour cream and the flour to make a paste. Add water as needed for a sticky consistency. Slowly add in some of the hot broth and stir until the flour mixture is watery and there are no lumps.
  4. Pour the flour mixture back into the saucepan and season with salt and pickle juice to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil until it reaches the desired consistency and then remove from the heat. 
  5. Serve immediately, add more pickle juice as needed.

No comments: