September 27, 2013

Candied Apples



Can you believe that I've never had a candied apple before I made these?

I know right?

I've always gone straight for the caramel apples (still one of my favorites). I always thought the red one's tasted like cinnamon and I didn't have an interest in that flavor combination so I never tried one. I have read through many candied apple recipes trying to figure out if they are supposed to taste like cinnamon or not.  I learned that some recipes do use those little red hot candies to melt down which do make them red and cinnamon-y but there were also recipes that didn't have that flavor.

So I had to try them, ya know, for the sake of science.

Turns out that these apples have a hard candy coating that just tastes like melted sugar.  It tastes that way because that's what it is.  Funny how that works isn't it? I'm so glad that I finally tried them.  They are very good but I honestly prefer the caramel apples more.  Having said that, at least now I know that only some of the candied apples taste like cinnamon and in a pinch I would absolutely eat this kind again.  I'm not one to turn down sugar after all.

I have only tried this one so I cannot compare how they taste with the kind you'd find at a carnival or fair.  It was yummy and fun to make but I'm glad I halved the recipe.  This much sugar in one household must be limited. :)

Candied Apples
Recipe from Martha Stewart


Ingredients
  • 4 medium apples (I used Honeycrisp)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp water
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 3 drops red food coloring (optional)
Cooking Directions
  1. Use small branches or popsicle sticks to press into the apple, at the stem end.
  2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and then either butter it or spray it liberally with cooking spray.
  3. Place the apples on the prepared cookie sheet.
  4. In a medium saucepan, add the sugar, water, corn syrup and red food coloring if you're using it.
  5. Bring to a boil over high heat and then lower heat to medium high. Let the mixture boil without stirring it until it reaches 300-310 degrees.
  6. Quickly dip the apples in the syrup and place back onto the cookie sheet. If you're going to use sprinkles or decorations that need to be pressed into the coating, work quickly, it will harden very fast.

No comments: