March 12, 2014

Baileys Hazelnut Caramels



My attempts to make an original dessert for Saint Patrick's Day has, of course, lead me to caramel.  I have an addiction that I think I'll need professional help to overcome.  If I want to overcome it, which at this point I don't.

There are several different flavors of Baileys Irish Cream and I'm sure all of them would be delicious but I especially thought Hazelnut would be good.  Boy was I right.  These caramels didn't last very long in my house.  I had to give some of them away to my neighbors because I was eating them hand over fist and it was getting a little embarrassing.


These caramels are pretty soft so I refrigerated mine.  Wrapping them in individual pieces of wax paper is recommended.  They will just stick together if you don't.

Soft and creamy caramels with the added deliciousness of Baileys was a great idea.  The recipe was not hard to make, all you need is a good candy thermometer (or a glass of cold water, see link below for instructions).  Have your dish and ingredients ready before you begin so you don't have to stress about it. 

Enjoy!

Baileys Hazelnut Caramels
Recipe modified slightly from Simply Kierste


Ingredients
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 - 3 tsp Baileys Hazelnut flavored Irish Cream
  • 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or pecans (optional)
Cooking Directions
  1. Butter a 9x13 inch glass dish and set aside
  2. Add all the ingredients except the Bailey's and the chopped nuts to a large saucepan.
  3. Turn the heat to medium low and let everything melt, stir to combine and use a candy thermometer to let it come up to 244º
  4. Remove from the heat and add the Baileys and the nuts if you are using, stir well to combine.
  5. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and let sit until cool enough to handle.
  6. Turn the dish over and let the caramel fall onto some wax paper.
  7. Cut into the desired sized squares and wrap in small pieces of wax paper, twist the ends to seal.
  8. Enjoy

No comments: