January 16, 2017

Banana and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins



I know I haven't posted much lately, and here's why.  It's the New Year and of course we're trying to eat better in my house.  My husband is gluten free and I'm just sort of doing my own thing but all of us are trying to eliminate sugar from out lives.  So, sadly I haven't had much that's interesting to cook.  I mean, you probably don't need to read about me making a grilled steak or chicken but slowly I'm finding more recipes that we can all eat. 

Like this one. 

Sweetened with maple syrup (love), gluten free, and my daughter's favorite flavor combination!  We're all happy with this one. My daughter ate two right out of the oven, which she never does.  She even knew they were good for her!  I think the banana chocolate chip flavor won her over.  I also let her make these, pretty much all by herself (not the oven part) and I think that helped also (she's super picky).


I loved that these muffins stay nice and moist, yet have a great texture from the oatmeal.  I used old fashioned oats and there is a nice chew with those.  Plenty of banana flavor and chocolate chips. My favorite part about these muffins is that they are the perfect amount of sweetness, and there's no sugar in them!  This will definitely become a favorite in my house, for everyone!

Banana and Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins


Ingredients
  • 3 cups quick or old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 cup (2 large) bananas, mashed
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup 1% milk
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips
  • cooking spray
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray, set aside .
  3. In a medium bowl add the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt and set aside.
  4. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, bananas, vanilla extract, and milk until smooth.
  5. Add the oats into the wet ingredients and mix well, then add the coconut oil and chocolate chips and mix.
  6. Fill each muffin cup with an equal amount of batter and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before removing to a wire cooling rack.
  7. These can be frozen or refrigerated.

No comments: