March 4, 2017

Lemon Ice Cream Bars



Sorry for the delay in posting this week.  We had our house painted, as well as my kitchen cabinets.  So needless to say, I was out of the way for most of the week.  Then I unplugged my internet and had to have my husband help me fix it.  So, luckilyI'm back in business now, a week later.

So, I was going through all of my old Food Network Magazine's and I discovered I had some pages marked, so I finally got around to making these.

I'm telling you, theses are g.o.o.d.  The lemon curd is nice and tart but easily gets sweetened up by the ice cream.  The crust is crumbly and delicious, a good combination of sweetness with a little hint of lemon.  Great recipe to have for the upcoming summer!


Lemon Ice Cream Bars
Recipe from Food Network Magazine. Jan/Feb 2014 page 64


Ingredients
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 12 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest
  • pinch of salt
  • cooking spray
  • 2 5-6 oz shortbread cookies
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest
  • 2 pints vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
  • confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Cooking Directions
  1. Make the lemon curd first. In a saucepan, combine the egg yolks, sugar and lemon juice.  Cook over medium heat until it begins to thicken. 
  2. Add in chunks of butter until smooth and let thicken until it covers the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
  3. Strain through a fine mesh seive.  Then add the lemon zest and salt and let cool. 
  4. Spray a 9x9 or 8x8 inch dish with cooking spray.  Line it with aluminum foil so there is over hang on the sides, then spray again. 
  5. In a food processor, add all the cookies and pulse it until they are all crushed.  Slowly add in the melted butter and and lemon zest and  pulse a couple more times. 
  6. Press the cookie mixture into the bottom of the prepared dish, use your hands to make it even and press down firmly. 
  7. Press the lightly softened ice cream on top of the cookie crust.  Press down and even out the top as much as possible. 
  8. Pour the lemon curd over the top and smooth out.  Lay a sheet of plastic wrap over the top and place in freezer for a minimum of 4 hours. 
  9. When ready to serve, grab the ends of the aluminum foil and lift out of dish. Cut into squares and serve. 

No comments: