December 8, 2015

Creamy Rice Pudding


You're looking at my husbands favorite dessert.  Well, one of many.  His great grandmother used to make it all the time.  Apparently this recipe was very close to hers.  She said that sometimes she added raisins to hers.  Needless to say, he was a happy camper when I made this.

I myself haven't had much rice pudding in my life.  I don't remember my grandmother making it.  I don't think I even tried it until I was an adult.  But I have to say, this rice pudding recipe is WAY better than the kind you buy in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.  I've never been a big fan of that one, but I loved this one.

Creamy, sweet with a little bit of cinnamon in the background.  You could certainly add raisins like my husbands grandmother did.  I don't think there is much you could add that wouldn't be delicious.  The thing about rice pudding is it's sort of just a creamy vanilla concoction.  There's LOTS of room to add the things you like best.  I however loved it just like this.  Yum!

Creamy Rice Pudding
Recipe from Sprinkle Some Sugar


Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup uncooked white rice (I used minute rice)
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Cooking Directions
  1. Boil the rice, water (using the directions on the box), granulated sugar and salt in a medium sauce pan until tender.
  2. Pour in the half and half and 1/2 cup of milk and simmer for about 20 minutes. It will look like there is a lot of milk but it will get absorbed, I promise. Stir frequently until creamy and thick.
  3. Mix in the brown sugar.
  4. In a small bowl whisk the egg yolks and slowly add 3 Tbsp of the rice mixture into the eggs to temper them.
  5. Add the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the rice mixture.
  6. Add in the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and cook for 3-5 minutes more. Remove from the heat and add the butter, vanilla extract and cinnamon and mix.
  7. Serve hot or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments: