February 13, 2017

Apricot Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies


So, there I was, munching away on dried apricots, when it hit me!  The flavors for my next cookie! Chocolate and apricot are a match made in heaven. So is orange and chocolate. So why not incorporate them into a delicious chewy cookies with little chewy chunks of goodness. 

The base of this recipe came from Pinterest.  I knew I wanted this to be a chewy cookie.  I also knew that I'd be using chocolate chips, so the base of this cookie is a yummy chocolate chip cookie that I found and have made once before.  Then it was just a matter of adding in the other flavors I wanted. 

I was able to control myself long enough to wait until they cooled out of the oven.  This is needed in order to achieve optimal chewiness. Mission accomplished!  Perfectly chewy, large, full of flavor.  The orange flavor is not too strong but pairs well with the apricots and the chocolate chips.  The small chunks of apricots are a wonderful addition.  I'm in love with this cookie.  

Apricot Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
Modified from Host The Toast


Ingredients
  • 2 cups + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • zest of 1 orange
  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 tsp orange juice
  • 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup dried apricots, finely diced
Cooking Directions
  1. In a medium sized bowl, add the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, orange zest and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
  2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the sugars and cooled butter and beat for 1 minute.
  3. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and the orange juice. Mix.
  4. Slowly add the dry ingredients in and mix until combined.
  5. Add in the chocolate chips and apricot pieces and stir until combined. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
  6. Let your oven preheat to 325º
  7. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper
  8. Scoop out 1/4 cup of dough and place on a cookie sheet. Leave room for them to spread out while cooking
  9. Bake for 12-18 minutes, rotating once halfway through. Remove when the edges are golden brown
  10. Let sit on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack

No comments: