February 8, 2017

Panera Bread Macaroni and Cheese


As part of my ongoing quest to make homemade macaroni and cheese that my daughter will actually eat, I tried this new one last night. 

I figured this was a sure winner, since she loves Panera Macaroni and Cheese. 

I was wrong about her liking it, but I LOVED it. 

Is it wrong that I'm actually happy she didn't like it, so I can have the rest? Her reasons for not liking it were: The consistency was thicker than the store version.  So, the flavor was a match but because I let it cool down (and it thickened) she wouldn't eat it. This is the story of my life.  Do you feel sorry for me? 

Well, obviously you just have to add a little more milk to get the consistency to thin out but she'd already determined that it wasn't right and therefore nothing would change her mind. 

It's OK, I'll eat it. 

Panera Bread Macaroni and Cheese
Recipe from Food Folks and Fun


Ingredients
  • 16 oz rigati pasta
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 cups milk (2% or whole)
  • 6 slices American cheese (white) cut into strips
  • 8 oz extra sharp cheddar (white) grated
  • 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp hot sauce
Cooking Directions
  1. Boil the pasta according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute. Add the milk and whisk until thick. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Now turn off the heat and add the mustard, salt and hot sauce.
  3. Add the cooked, drained pasta and stir well.
  4. Serve hot

No comments: