May 2, 2012

Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Bars


One of my favorite blogs posted this recipe recently and I knew I'd be making it as soon as possible. I'm so glad I did, it's a keeper for sure.  The bottom is a regular shortbread, caramel in the middle and chocolate on top.  She added sea salt to hers which I didn't but I'll give it a try next time.  The other difference between her recipe and mine is that she actually made the caramel from scratch.  I planned to follow hers exactly until I realized I didn't have any sweetened condensed milk but I did have Kraft Caramel squares so I improvised.

I'm not sure how the homemade caramel version stood up to being at room temperature but the Kraft caramels really needed to be cold or they would ooze all of the place. I brought some to work with me and they got excellent reviews.


I plan to make these again soon (after I buy some sweetened condensed milk) and try the fully homemade option. 

As I mentioned above, I didn't have the ingredients for the caramel layer in the original recipe. The recipe below is the method I used but the link above will bring you to the original recipe.

Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Bars
Recipe found at "Tracey's Culinary Adventures" here

Shortbread2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar

Caramel
1 1/2 bags of Kraft Caramel Squares (individually wrapped)
1/4 cup of milk

Chocolate
8 oz chocolate, finely chopped (I used bittersweet)
1 teaspoon light corn syrup
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces

Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. It makes it easier if you spray the pan first with non-stick cooking spray because the parchment will then stick to that.

Start with the shortbread layer first.  Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together and then set aside. Using your stand mixer, add the paddle attachment and then beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. Lower the speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture and mix until combined. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan and press into an even layer using your fingers. Bake for 15-18 minutes. The crust will remain fairly pail but should turn a slight golden color. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Use a double boiler for the caramel layer.  Start a saucepan simmering over low heat and put a heat proof bowl over the top.  Add the unwrapped caramels and the milk and stir occasionally until smooth. Pour over the cooled shortbread and let cool.  I put mine in the refrigerator for an hour or so.

For the last layer, add the chocolate, corn syrup and butter into another heat proof bowl and place it on top of a pan of simmering water.  Stir frequently until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer and chill.  If you're adding salt you will want to add it a few minutes after you pour it and before you chill it.  Keep cold for best results.

No comments: