This appetizer is one that I brought to a New Years party that I attended. They were a huge hit and lots of people asked me for the recipe. So, here is is. Very simple to put together. The ingredients aren't hard to find and if you've got yourself a little time for assembly they aren't complicated.
I've made them several times since that night and I've discovered that cooking them on a rack vs directly on a pan really helps with two things. First: you don't get the pooling of melted brown sugar and bacon fat around each tater tot, which in turn makes them difficult to get off the tin foil. Second: They crisp up better and aren't as gooey.
The combination of sweet and salty, combined with a yummy tater tot is delicious. Prepare yourself for a lot of people asking how they're made.
Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots
Recipe from Damn Delicious
- 2 cups tater tots, at room temperature
- 4 slices (or more) thin sliced bacon, cut into quarters
- 1 ounce sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400º
- Line a jelly roll pan with tin foil and place cooling racks on top the tin foil.
- Take a tater tot, place a piece of cheese on top, wrap in bacon, roll in brown sugar and place on the prepared pan.
- Continue until all are wrapped.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. The bacon should have started to get crisp around the edges and be golden in color.
- Let cool a little before removing from the pan.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.