I had to turn my oven on for this recipe. I only say that because it's really hot outside, so this took some serious commitment. I'm glad I did it though. They were pretty darn delicious.
I was invited over to a friends house for dinner so I made these. They are easy to make, it's really a quick process at first but you do have to bake them for 2 hours, so factor that in.
There is a good reason that beans are an outdoor party favorite, they aren't going to go bad if out in the sun. With the 4th right around the corner I think you might want to consider this recipe.
PW's The Best Baked Beans
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman
- 8 slices bacon, halved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, diced (optional)
- 3 cans (28 oz) pork and beans
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup distilled vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- Heat the oven to 325º
- In a large pot, brown the bacon until partially cooked. You need about 1/4 cup of bacon grease. Place the partially cooked bacon on a paper towel and set aside.
- Add the reserved 1/4 bacon back into the same pot and add the onion and green pepper if you're using it. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (not the bacon) and stir together.
- Transfer the mix to a 9x13 inch pan, top with bacon and bake for 2 hours.
- When done, let cool slightly so the sauce will thicken.