May 31, 2012

Princess Cake


This cake was created in a rushed time frame.  I would have liked to have taken more time to decorate it and make it look fancy but we needed to get going.  This is the cake I made for my daughters birthday party in Montana a couple of weeks ago.

I've seen this done several times by my friends and I've always wanted to try it.  I didn't have the time or space to make the cake from scratch but I did manage to make this fairly quickly.  See Rapunzel up there?  You know she's got REALLY long hair right? We (and by "we" I mean my sister) braided her hair and tucked it inside of her dress.  Good tip when you didn't think ahead of time about needing hairbands.


You will need to make three 9 inch round cakes and one cake in a glass heat proof bowl (such as a Pyrex bowl).  I used a medium sized bowl.

Freeze the cakes for a little while before you frost so there aren't as many crumbs.  Cut the tops off the round cakes so there is a flat surface. As for the cake made in the bowl, you need the round part on the bottom of the bowl (which will be the top) but you can cut off the bottom (the top when it's in the bowl) so it lays flat on the other round cakes.  Are you confused yet?

You need to cut a circle in the middle of each cake for the doll to fit.  I used a shot glass and then widened it a little with a knife.  I also put the doll up next to the cakes before I frosted them so I could see how tall she was and how much cake I needed to cut. 

Frost in between each layer as you assemble the cakes on top of each other.  If you have time you can do a crumb layer which is when you apply a small amount of frosting around the cake and then freeze it.  This virtually eliminates the crumbs from appearing on the final frosted layer. 

I didn't have time for that.

I think it turned out OK especially since I was in a rush but my daughter didn't seem to mind.

Make sure to wrap the doll in plastic wrap before putting her in her "dress".   I'd like to make another one when I have more time to decorate.  These cakes can look really cool if don't well.





No comments: