July 9, 2014

Blueberry Loaf Cake with Lemon Glaze



Blueberries are in season right now, quick go pick some!  Just kidding, well not about them being in season.  They are, and you should if you're able. 

I have two blueberry bushes in my back yard and they are nowhere near enough for my family.  I pick about 20, bring them in and watch my daughter devour them.  If I want any, I better eat them outside.  Luckily there are plenty of farms around here where you can go pick your own.  My daughter and I did go pick a half gallon and it's already gone.  Took about three days. 

This bread was one that I made for the 4th of July party with my neighbors. Very moist, yet light and the fresh blueberries just popped in your mouth.  I topped mine with some leftover lemon glaze I made for the lavender cookies I brought.  (link below) and I thought it was a great combination.  You can't beat the taste of lemon with blueberries.  This recipe is nice because you can use frozen blueberries too, making it a bread you can enjoy anytime.  I'll make it again, for sure. 
Blueberry Loaf Cake with Lemon Glaze
Recipe form Taste of Home


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray
  3. Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy. 
  4. Add the eggs one at a time, while the mixer is on low. 
  5. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until creamy and smooth. 
  6. Add the flour and baking powder to a separate bowl and then slowly add to the creamed ingredients until smooth. 
  7. Remove the bowl from the mixer and add the blueberries, incorporate carefully by hand so they don't break. 
  8. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the top comes out clean.  The loaf should be nice and golden brown on top. 
  9. Let cool completely before adding the glaze. 
Glaze recipe found here

No comments: