May 31, 2013

Puny's Macaroni and Cheese



One of my recent trips to the library was very productive.  I was in the cookbook section (as usual) and stumbled upon this book/cookbook.  The title of the book was confusing because it's called a cookbook and a kitchen reader, having no idea what a kitchen reader was I decided to check it out.  It's a book written with ton's of recipes strewn throughout, it's pretty cool.  I have started to read the story but mainly my focus was on the recipes.

There are many, many very yummy sounding Southern recipes.

I likey.

Obviously I had to try the macaroni and cheese recipe first.  I'm still obsessed with trying to find the one my daughter will gladly eat.  Haven't found that one yet, not even this one.  But my husband and I enjoyed it immensely.

It's very cheesy and melts nice and smooth.  I loved the little bite that the sour cream and the cream cheese contribute along with the sharp cheddar.  I skipped the breadcrumbs because I knew my little girl wouldn't even try it if it had breadcrumbs on top but I'm sure it would add a nice crunch and flavor. I'm very happy with this recipe, glad I tried it!  I can add this to my growing list of recipes that I love and my daughter won't eat.  :)

Puny's Macaroni and Cheese
Recipe from Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook & Kitchen Reader, page 311


Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter + 2 Tbsp for the breadcrumbs
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper (I used white)
  • 4 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 pound cooked elbow macaroni
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (optional)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. Butter a 3 quart baking dish and set aside.
  3. In a large pot of boiling salted water, start cooking the macaroni.
  4. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and then add the flour. Stir until smooth, then add the milk. Stir until smooth and thick and then add the sour cream and cream cheese.
  5. Stir until smooth and add all the seasonings.
  6. Add the cheese and stir until smooth.
  7. The macaroni should be done, and when it is just drain it and add it back to the pan it cooked in.
  8. When the cheese has melted, add it to the macaroni and stir well.
  9. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole pan.
  10. If you're adding bread crumbs, prepare them by adding the additional 2 Tbsp of melted butter and stir until coated. Pour them over the top of the macaroni.
  11. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until bubbling around the edges.

No comments: