November 19, 2014

Old Fashioned Sour Cream Raisin Pie


I can't believe I'm just getting around to making one of my dad's favorite pie's.  I've only made this one other time but it was many years ago. This isn't a pie I remember having very much when I was little.  My dad always tells the story of one of our neighbors who makes the BEST Sour Cream Raisin Pie.  I have no idea if this one would live up to hers, but it was still very good.

The filling is thick and full of flavor.  I chose not to use chopped nuts because my dad never mentioned the one he loved so much having nuts in it, and because I'm not a huge lover of nuts inside of desserts.  This pie reminds me of and old fashioned dessert.  I don't know how to describe it exactly except that it made me feel like I was home, cuddled up next to a fire with my family.

I think my dad would be proud of this recipe, I'll have to make it for him the next time I'm in town and get the comparison.  The spices make this a fall/winter dessert for me.  Maybe that's why it feels old fashioned to me.

Well, whatever the reason I'm so glad I tried this recipe.  This would be great for the holiday table!

Old Fashioned Sour Cream Raisin Pie
Recipe from Taste of Home


Ingredients
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
  • 1 pie shell, baked
Meringue
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 5 Tbsp granulated sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. In a small saucepan add the raisins and cover with enough water to cover.  Heat to a boil and then remove from the heat and let sit until needed. 
  3. Use a large saucepan and add the sugar, cornstarch, salt, cloves and cinnamon. Whisk in the sour cream and the milk until smooth. Stir and cook over medium high heat until thick and smooth.  Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. 
  4. Remove from the heat and stir some of the hot mixture in with the egg yolks to temper them.  Once tempered you can add the yolks into the saucepan with the hot mixture and turn the heat up until the mix is at a gentle boil and stir and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
  5. Drain the raisins and reserve 1/2 cup of the liquid.  Add the liquid and the raisins into the sour cream mixture and stir until smooth. Pour into the baked pie shell. 
  6. For the Meringue. In the bowl of your stand mixer or using a hand mixer and a small bowl, beat the egg whites and the salt using a whisk attachment until it reaches stiff peaks. Add the sugar in 1 Tbsp at a time.  
  7. Smooth the meringue over the top of the filling, bringing the meringue over to the edge of the crust. 
  8. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. 

No comments: