July 13, 2015

Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake



While I was on vacation in Montana a week ago, I wasn't totally useless.  I did actually bake some.  My sister just moved into a new house and when she arrived she realized that someone had planted rhubarb in the backyard.  Yippee!!!  She's been cutting and freezing it until I could arrive and use it up.

The hardest part was deciding what to make.  She picked, I baked.  Worked out perfectly.


This recipe was a new one for me.  I honestly can't say that I've ever made Pudding Cake before. Bread pudding yes.  Regular old pudding yes.  Cake, yes.  Not pudding cake though. I have to tell you, it's pretty darn amazing.  I want to try this recipe with other types of fruit too.  The middle really does form a soft bread like pudding.  The top is crusty and sweet and the edges are a bit chewy.  I loved it!

We all couldn't get over how much it tasted like we had added strawberries.  We didn't but it tasted like we did.  Sweet, tender and delicious.  This would also be a great treat for an outdoor picnic or barbecue.

Old Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake
Recipe from Common Sense Home


Ingredients
  • 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
  • 3 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
Cooking Directions
  1. Cover the bottom of a 8x8 inch or a 9x9 inch square pan with the cut fruit. You can also use a deep dish pie plate.
  2. Mix together 3/4 cup of sugar, butter, baking powder, salt, milk, both extracts and flour and whisk until smooth.
  3. Pour over the rhubarb, if its too thick add a little more milk until it's pourable.
  4. Mix the remaining cornstarch and sugar and sprinkle over the top.
  5. Pour the boiling water over the top of it all (don't stir).
  6. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
  7. Serve hot or let cool and then invert onto a plate so it's upside down.
  8. *This recipe can be doubled to use a 9x13 inch dish.

3 comments:

pjr said...

Do you cook the rhubarb first or put it in the bottom with suger over it? Please help.

Alyssamay's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alyssamay's said...

Hi pjr, no need to cook the rhubarb first. I think I cut mine about an inch long or so. Just put it in raw. I love this recipe, I hope you do to.