August 13, 2010

Berry Cornmeal Muffins


My not-so-bad-problem-to-have yesterday was a bunch of strawberries that were planning to leave this world without my permission.  How rude!  So I took control and made some muffins.  I don't think I've ever made corn muffins before but I'll be making them again for sure!  They were yummy.  Warning: my little girl helped me make these so some of the photo's aren't necessarily that great.  But you'll have to suffer because I think its the cutest thing in the world when she helps me. Yep, I'm sappy like that.



Here's the line-up. Flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cornmeal, strawberries, yogurt, egg, butter.


Sorry for the shadows in this picture, the lighting in my kitchen is not so good. And I'm not a great photographer, not a good combination. 
Begin by mixing the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.


In a separate bowl, mix the cut strawberries with 1/2 a cup of the flour mixture you just made.


In another bowl mix the yogurt, butter and egg together until smooth.


Stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture until combined.


Add the strawberries and gently fold them together.


Dollop the dough into your prepared muffin tins.  I sprayed the tins liberally, but you can use paper muffin cups also.


Put them into a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.  Watching them makes the time go by faster.  Not really, but taking pictures of your kids watching muffins bake is great fun.


These came out of the muffin tin with no problem at all.  I love the color - just barely golden brown on top. 


Plenty of strawberries inside.  These are a really good treat that I hope you'll try.  Different from your everyday muffins, but a nice change that I'll be making again.

Here's where I got this recipe:
Berry Cornmeal Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
1 (8 ounce container) Yogurt - recipe calls for strawberry flavored but I used vanilla.
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare your muffin tin by either spraying them, or using paper muffin cups.

In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cornmeal.
In a separate bowl mix 1/2 cup of the flour mixture with the cut strawberries.
In another bowl; mix the yogurt, egg, and melted butter together. 
Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.  Fold in the strawberries.
Put an even amount of dough in each muffin cup and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins.

No comments: