August 2, 2010

Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies


Need I say more? They're chocolate chunk cookies for goodness sakes.  You'll thank me later, or hate me later - either or.


In this bowl is the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.  I'm not fancy enough to have Dutch processed cocoa powder in my house so this is just plain ol' Hershey's cocoa powder.


This is my version of a double boiler - just use a heat safe bowl over a pan of simmering water.  Don't let the water touch the bottom of the bowl. I cut up some butter as you can see.


Then I added some semi-sweet chocolate chips (again, not fancy enough to have an expensive semisweet chocolate on hand).


Stir it constantly until smooth.


Now pour this mixture into your mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment.



Add the sugar...


Add the eggs...


Add the vanilla...


Beat on medium speed until combined. 


Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture.


Turn your mixer OFF and add the chocolate chunks (or chocolate chips). Combine together by hand.


If you have a 1 1/2 inch cookie scoop, nows the time to use it. I don't, I used two teaspoons. Parchment paper is a lifesaver, I can't live without it so I encourage you to use it if you've got it. Put them in your preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes.


Look at these beauties will ya?  I plan to slightly under bake these next time.  I cooked these for 14-15 minutes and the first day they were devine.  But the second day they started to get crumbly so I'm going to see if slightly less time in the oven makes them stay chewy longer.


Enjoy with a cold glass of milk...


My adorable little thief stole this one, but its OK.  I have more...

Here's where you can find the recipe - originally from Martha Stewart.
http://traceysculinaryadventures.blogspot.com/2010/06/double-chocolate-chunk-cookies.html

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 ounces semisweet chocolate - divided  (I used chocolate chips, but if you have a bar or block at home you'll want 4 ounces coarsely chopped, 4 ounces cut into 1/4 inch chunks).
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.

Place the coarsely chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips) and the butter in a heatproof bowl and put on top of a pan of simmering water.  Stir constantly until smooth and remove from heat.

Pour this mixture into the mixing bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla and mix until combined.  Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing only until incorporated.  Use a spatula to fold in the chocolate chunks (or chips).

Use a 1 1/2 inch cookie scoop (or two teaspoons) to place the dough on the parchment paper about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 10-15 minutes until the tops begin to crack. Transfer the parchment paper to wire racks and let cool for about 5 minutes.  Repeat with remaining cookie dough.

Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

Makes 3 dozen cookies.

No comments: