October 22, 2010

Chicken Lasagna


Here is my attempt to eat more white meat.  I think I've mentioned in the past how I'm not a huge white meat fan.  If I'm eating white meat I need to have it pretty much covered in a sauce of some sort.  Luckily this recipe certainly fits the bill, the chicken is smothered in cheesy goodness! 


We buy the big bags of chicken from Sam's Club so these chicken breasts were frozen.  I just dunked them in some water and boiled them for about 20 minutes.  You want 2 cups of cubed cooked chicken.


While your chicken is cooking, chop up one onion and mince one garlic.



Shred about 1 cup of Parmesan cheese.



Melt 1/2 cup of butter (one stick) and add the onion and garlic. Cook until tender.



Add 1/2 cup of flour and the salt.



Mix well and then let this come to a bubble.





Add in the chicken broth, and milk and stir constantly for about 1 minute.



Add 2 cups of mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and stir until melted.



Add your basil, oregano, and black pepper and remove from the heat.



mmmmmm, cheesy.



I used the no-boil lasagna noodles but either way, here's where you start layering them.  Start with 1/3 of the cheese mixture on the bottom of the pan.  Add three lasagna noodles, top with the ricotta and chicken (which I mixed together). 



Top this with three more noodles.



Add another 1/3 of the cheese sauce on top of the noodles.



Spread the spinach on top of the cheese mixture.


Put the other 2 cups of mozzarella cheese on top of the spinach.



Add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese on top of the mozzarella cheese. 

Here's where I apologize for not taking any more pictures until the very end.   I'm sorry....

Add three more noodles on top of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.  Pour the remaining cheese sauce over the noodles.  Sprinkle with parsley and the remaining 1/4 Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in a pre-heated oven.




 May I also apologize for not taking a very good "end" shot.  My reasoning is good however, this lasagna smelled so good that when it came out of the oven I just served and dived in - then remembered to take a quick picture before I finished it off.  I know you'll be able to relate when you try this.  It's that good.  I'm just sayin.  Try it.  Soon.

Here's where you can find the recipe: White Cheese Chicken Lasagna

No comments: