October 7, 2010

Salad Topper


Browsing through my pantry last night trying to think of something to make I came upon a can of kidney beans with a recipe on the back.  It had all the ingredients my husband and I like and went perfectly with my healthy eating dinner plan. 
This came together very quickly and my husband and I both enjoyed it very much.  I'll make this again for sure.



Open a can of kidney beans (although you can use whatever bean you enjoy most) and rinse, then set aside.


Hard boil two eggs...


Slice up two sticks of celery


Dice up 1/4 cup of onion (or you can use onion powder), dice up your hard boiled eggs, two pickles and add some pepper to taste.


You can either use mayonnaise here or Italian Salad Dressing here to combine all the ingredients.


I let mine sit for a few minutes to develop the flavors.  I also added some tomatoes, sliced meat and some cheese but just add or omit whatever you like/don't like.


Put on top of a nice leafy salad and you've got a meal! This topper can go a million different directions.  It really helps to spice up a boring salad and make it different.  Let me know what you think!

What you'll need:

1 can kidney beans - rinsed
2 stalks of celery - sliced
2 hard boiled eggs - sliced
2 dill pickles - sliced
1/4 cup onion - cut
6 cherry tomatoes - cut in half (optional)
Cheese cubes (optional)
Sliced meat (optional)
Italian dressing or Mayonnaise, enough to coat

Mix all of the ingredients with the Italian dressing (or Mayo).  Once combined, put on top of your favorite lettuce! Easy!

No comments: