April 19, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Scones


I bought a bunch of lemons.  I'm telling you this because you will see this ingredient in a lot of recipes until I use them all up.  I hope you like lemons.

While searching for the perfect recipes for my lemon weakness I found the perfect one to start things off in these Lemon Blueberry Scones.  I hardly ever make scones.  I have no good reason for that, I really like them, they aren't complicated, they're yummy, and their pretty.  See? No reason why you shouldn't go whip some up right now.

I really enjoyed these and surprisingly, so did my daughter.  Really, I was shocked.  She does love blueberries though and the lemon flavor is only coming from the lemon zest so it's very mild. She calls them cookies....hey whatever helps her eat them.


Another plus to this recipe?  I got to use my brand new food processor.  Can you make these without a food processor?  Of course you can.  But it was really fun to see what mine could do.  I was impressed.  I think I'll keep it.

Add the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and pulse briefly just to blend.



Cut the cold butter into cubes and toss them in, then cover each piece with flour.  Add the lemon zest too.


Pulse again until the mixture looks like coarse meal.  12 pulses were recommended, and that's what I did.



I used frozen blueberries, do not thaw if using frozen.  Otherwise use fresh.



Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and pour in the heavy cream.  Mix until just combined.



Pour the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until no longer sticky.  Try to do this quickly,  you do not what the heat in your hands to heat up the butter in the dough.  It needs to stay nice and cold in order to bake up tender and flaky.  Form into an 8 inch circle.



Cut the circle into 8 triangles.



Place the triangles onto your cookies sheet that has been covered with parchment paper.



If you choose do use the glaze, spread some heavy cream over the top of each triangle.



Sprinkle sugar on top.  Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until the tops have begun to turn golden brown.



The inside is nice and moist while the sugar on top makes a nice sweet little coating to bite through.  The lemon flavor is very mild and goes beautifully with the blueberries.

Lemon Blueberry Scones
Recipe from Tracey's Culinary Adventures found here

Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, but not thawed)
1 cup heavy cream

Optional Glaze:
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In the bowl of a food processor, pulse to combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the cubes of butter to the bowl and use your fingers (carefully) to coat the butter with the flour mixture and distribute it evenly. Add the lemon zest. Pulse until the mixture requires coarse meal (about 12 pulses) then transfer to a large bowl. Add the blueberries and gently toss to mix. Stir in the heavy cream with a rubber spatula or fork until the dough begins to come together, about 30 seconds.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter top and knead by hand just until it comes together in a rough, slightly sticky ball, 5 to 10 seconds.

Gently press the ball of dough into an 8-inch circle. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 8 wedges and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. If you want to glaze the scones, brush the tops with the cream and then sprinkle with the sugar.
Bake until the scones are light brown, about 12-15 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: