April 29, 2011

Shrimp and Goat Cheese Quesadillas


I know it's hard to imagine (after reading my other posts) that I eat anything other than just sugar based foods; but believe me when I tell you that I do occasionally make regular food.  I do try to keep it interesting however, because I bore quickly of the same ol things.

While checking out my book shelf the other day I stumbled upon this recipe from a cute little cookbook created by my cousin for her Bridal Shower.  Goat Cheese, Shrimp, what's not to love.

My mom and I made these while she was visiting and they turned out so delish.  Very flavorful, you can really taste the goat cheese.  I think I used more shrimp then it originally called for but I don't think you can go wrong by adding as much shrimp as you want!


The mixture above is the chopped, cooked shrimp, goat cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, garlic, salt and pepper and cilantro.



Divide the mixture into thirds and spread it evenly on three large flour tortillas.



Top with another tortilla and add either butter or oil to a large skillet to brown.  Lovely aren't they?

Easy, quick, and delicious - can't beat that on a busy week night.


The recipe says it was given to her by Julia Dichiaro (thanks Julia).

8 Medium cooked shrimp (peeled & deveined)
4 oz. of goat cheese, softened. 
1 cup grated Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 tsp. pressed or finely minced garlic
2 Tbsp. cilantro, minced
6 large flour tortillas
butter or margarine

Cook the shrimp and then chop it into small bite-sized pieces.  Mix the shrimp, goat cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro, garlic and salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl.

Divide the mixture into three even amounts and add to the middle of three tortillas. Spread out evenly leaving a small space around the edge of each tortilla.  Top with another tortilla.  Melt some butter (or oil) in a skillet large enough to fit the tortilla.  Place one quesadilla and cook until brown and then flip over. 
You can keep each warm while the others are cooking by placing them on a cookie sheet in a 200 degree oven.

Use a pizza cutter to slice into pieces.

We served this with Salsa and sour cream but the original recipe served it with Verde Sauce.  I plan to make this sauce eventually and will post it when I do.

Enjoy!

No comments: