October 6, 2011

Diamond Bread


I've had these cookbooks sitting in my bookshelf for years.  I absolutely love them because there is a picture with each recipe, they are in a three ring type book (two books actually) so the pages easily stay in place when you're making something and the instructions are easy to follow.  For some reason I never remember to look through them and actually make the things I have marked. Probably because I want to make every single page of the book, so no marking necessary. 

I finally got around to making this bread.  I only cut enough off to taste it and then I froze the rest because it's not really a sandwich type bread.  It's very hearty, nutty flavor which would be perfect with a soup or stew.  I plan to break it out again once I get into the full winter swing of things and I've got a nice new soup to try it with.  It's called diamond bread because you bake it in a 9x13 in pan instead of loaf pans and you cut a diamond shape into it before you bake it.


Recipe from "The Great American Home Baking" book.

1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1 1/2 c. milk
1 large egg
1/4 c. honey
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 c. rye flour
1 c. old fashioned oats
2 1/2 to 3 c. bread flour

Dissolve the yeast and water (105 - 115 degrees) in the bowl of your stand mixer until foamy (5-10 min.). Stir in the milk, egg, honey, vegetable oil, salt and cinnamon.  Once blended add the rye flour and the oats and beat until blended. Add the bread flour 1/2 c. at a time until a soft dough forms.

On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 5 -10 minutes, adding flour as needed until the dough becomes elastic.  Place the dough in a well greased bowl, turn to coat and then cover and put in a warm place to rise for about an hour until doubled in size.

Grease at 9x13 inch pan and form the dough into it, smoothing the top as much as possible.  Cover and let rise again until doubled in size.  About 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375.  Lightly score the dough with a sharp knife with a diamond pattern, and then bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until hollow sounding when tapped.  Cool on a wire rack.


No comments: