June 20, 2012

Blueberry Scones



I've got a really big event on Thursday at my office and I've been pretty stressed out about it.  This doesn't have much to do with scones does it.  Well, two co-workers from other markets are coming to help me with this event.  So I made them breakfast.  I'm hoping that these scones will be so good that if the event is a total flop they'll really only remember the wonderful homemade scones with blueberries right out of my garden that they got.   Do you think my plan will work? I'm not sure either. The other reason I made scones is because baking is a stress relief for me.  So yeah, I have selfish reasons for making them too. Whatever. 


This recipe was easy and came together very quickly.  I think start to finish I was done in 30 minutes.



Form the dough into a 6 inch square and then cut in quarters and then cut those quarters into halves.



Coat the tops with heavy cream and then sprinkle with sugar and bake.


When golden brown they are done.  These scones made my whole house smell like blueberries.  Yum, I can't wait to see if my co-workers like them!


Blueberry Scones
Recipe from Martha Stewart


  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling tops
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over and rinsed
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing tops
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Set aside. 

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add the cold butter cut into cubes and then use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture until pea sized pieces form.  Pour in the blueberries and lemon zest. 

In a separate cup combine the cream and eggs and beat slightly to break up the eggs.  

Pour the cream/egg mixture into the flour mixture and use a fork to blend until it just comes together and is moist. 

Dump the dough onto a floured surface and using your hands, shape into a 6 inch square.  Cut the square in quarters using a floured knife.  Cut each 1/4 in half diagonally and place on the prepared cookie sheet. 

Coat the tops of the scones with some cream and then sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. 

Transfer to wire wracks to cool. 


No comments: