April 24, 2015

Banana Pudding


I'm constantly on the lookout for ways to use up overripe bananas.  You'd think I'd learn to just buy two at a time.

The the upside, I'm finding a lot of really good banana recipes.

Banana pudding seemed like the thing to make this last time.  I happened to have all the ingredients so why not?  I really didn't know that making pudding would be so easy.  I don't know why people use the box stuff now.  I'll be making mine from scratch from now on.

This recipe is easy and great tasting.  Ton's of banana flavor of course, a great way to use up bananas and a not-so-horrible-for-you dessert! And, you can make fresh whipped cream with any leftover heavy cream you have. I'm really glad I made this and I can't wait to try other pudding recipes.

Banana Pudding
Recipe from Jen's Favorite Cookies



Ingredients
  • 2-3 very ripe banana's
  • 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 Tbsp cornstarch
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cooking Directions
  1. Add the squished banana's and the milk and cream to a heavy saucepan. Heat until hot but not boiling and then mash the banana's into the milk mixture. 
  2. In another small dish add the sugar, salt and cornstarch. Whisk together to mix. When the milk mixture is almost to the point of boiling, add the sugar mixture and mix well. 
  3. In a small dish lightly beat the egg yolks.  Slowly add a little bit of the heated milk/sugar mixture to temper the eggs so they don't scramble. Add a little hot mixture while stirring the eggs.  Once the egg mixture has heated up a bit via the mixture you can add it all back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk/sugar mixture. 
  4. Bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. 
  5. Add the pudding to individual ramekins or a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool completely or it can be eaten while still slightly warm. 
  6. Top with whipped cream if desired. 

No comments: