April 7, 2015

PW's Potatoes Au Gratin


So there I was on Easter Day, just getting around to planning dinner for that night.  I'm on top of things around here let me tell ya. So, we knew we'd be doing ham steaks because they're easy, and it's ham, and we all like ham.  We totally disagreed on the vegetable we wanted so all three of us ate a different vegetable.  My husband wanted mashed potatoes and I wanted something different, so we compromised and settled on this Au Gratin recipe from The Pioneer Woman. 

Yum, just yum. 

Creamy, cheesy, garlic-y deliciousness.  It was a perfect accompaniment to our dinner.  It doesn't take long to prepare and I had the majority of the ingredients on hand.  I had to run out for heavy cream but that was it. 

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter.  I hope next year I have my stuff together enough to plan dinner before the actual dinner. :)

PW's Potatoes Au Gratin
Recipe from The Pioneer Woman


Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 6-7 small potatoes (I used gold) scrubbed clean and diced
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
  • fresh chives, thinly sliced
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400º
  2. Use the softened butter to coat the bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  3. Place the diced potatoes in the prepared dish.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine the milk, cream, flour, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
  5. Pour over the top of the potatoes.
  6. Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes.
  7. Remove cover and bake for 20-30 minutes more.
  8. Right before serving, add the shredded cheddar and bake for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
  9. Garnish with chives if desired.

No comments: