I love recipes with only a few ingredients. Less of a chance I'll mess it up.
These cookies took a little finessing in order to come together and become the right consistency. I can tell you that once you remove the dough from the mixing bowl, before you refrigerate it for an hour, it needs to be a smooth dough that holds together. I needed to add a little water to make it work. However once I got it together the rest was simple. This is a little hard to do when you're trying not to overwork the dough, but it's possible. You don't want to work the dough too much because it'll become tough.
It seems a bit odd to cut them and leave them together in one big piece before baking but that's what you're supposed to do. Once they come out of the oven you can re cut them, let them cool and then separate them.
They are delicious cookies. Very tender, buttery and crumbly. I loved the taste and next time I plan to dip one end in chocolate like the original post did. I added these cookies to the English Tea Party I threw for the neighborhood kids that always play together. These cookies were the perfect addition. I will make them again.
3-Ingredient Shortbread Cookies
Recipe from EugenieKitchen
- 1 cup salted butter at room temperature (if using unsalted add 1 tsp salt)
- 1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- melted chocolate (optional)
- Sift the flour into a medium bowl, set aside.
- Sift the confectioners' sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer (or a mixing bowl if doing it by hand)
- Add the softened butter to the sugar and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture and fold in.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead once with your hands.
- Form into a ball and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 300º.
- Place the chilled down onto a cookie sheet and roll out to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into whatever shape you choose and pierce the middle with a fork so no air bubbles form.
- Bake for 45 minutes until light golden brown.
- Immediately cut the cookie again when they come out of the oven and let cool completely on the pan.