November 10, 2015

Apple Cake


In my house, we always have apples.  Oddly enough they are usually not baking apples.  My daughter loves to snack on apples and she'll eat at least 2 a day.  So when I buy apples I buy 2 bags at a time. Well, sometimes they start to look less than desirable toward the end.

That's when I start looking for recipes.

I found this one on the Internet and happened to have all the ingredients I needed, so I made it.

This cake is really good.  It's moist and has a good apple flavor. I poured a little confectioners' sugar glaze on top but it really doesn't need it.  It's pretty sweet on it's own but it sure looks pretty with the glaze.

This was a great use of apples.  Glad I found this recipe.


Apple Cake
Recipe from Gina's Favorites


Ingredients
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 6 medium Gala, Fuji or Honey Crisp Apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
Cooking Directions
  1. In a large bowl, or stand mixer bowl combine the eggs and sugar. Whisk until combined.
  2. Add the ground cinnamon and oil and combine.
  3. Add the sliced apples, combine into the mixture so they don't turn brown.
  4. Add the flour and baking soda and mix to combine.
  5. Spray a 9x13 inch dish or two 9 inch round cake pans with non stick spray and then put the mixture into them.
  6. Bake at 375º for about 55 minutes Start checking for doneness at about 50 minutes.
Confectioners' Sugar Glaze

About 1 cup confectioners' sugar.  Add about 1/2 tsp vanilla.  Whisk in a little milk or water until the desired consistency is reached.  I used about 3 Tbsp or so. 

No comments: