February 10, 2016

White Chocolate, Cherry and Almond Biscotti



I can't believe that I have never made biscotti before.  I love it.  I buy it in the store but why haven't I ever made it? 

Well, I had to fix that. 

There are a lot of choices out there when you want to make biscotti.  Seems like just about every flavor imaginable.  I didn't really know which kind I wanted to make first, but I saw this one had cherries in it.  I didn't have dried cherries but I did have maraschino cherries, so I cut them up and dried them really well and they worked just fine. 

The crunchy not too sweet cookie, combined with the sweet white chocolate drizzle and the chewy cherries was a hit for me and my family.  Made crunchy so you can dip it in your coffee or tea. I loved this flavor and will be trying new flavors soon!

Also, this would be perfect for Valentines Day.  Just sayin. 

White Chocolate, Cherry and Almond Biscotti
Recipe from Gimme Some Oven


Ingredients
  • 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp oil (I used canola)
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup dried or maraschino cherries (cut in half and patted dry)
  • 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds
  • white chocolate baking squares or chips for drizzling
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the oil ,both extracts and the eggs. Mix to incorporate.
  3. In a separate bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk together.
  4. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
  5. Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a spoon to mix in the cherries, chocolate chips and almonds.
  6. Lightly flour your work surface and put the dough on it, knead a couple of times to make it less tacky.
  7. Cut the dough in half and shape into two patties about 1" thick. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat and bake for 35 minutes.
  8. Remove the dough patties to a cooling rack and let them cool about 10 minutes.
  9. Decrease the temperature of the oven to 325º
  10. Once they patties have cooled a little, sliced them into 1/2" sliced and lay them back on the cookie sheet, cut side down.
  11. Bake for 10 minutes and then flip over and let them bake for 10 more minutes.
  12. Remove from the baking sheet and let cool on a cooling rack.
  13. Drizzle with white chocolate if desired.

No comments: