March 22, 2016

Homemade Greek Yogurt


We all know what a craze Greek yogurt has become, right? Well, did you know that most of the large store brands have tons of sugar and artificial stuff you don't need, or want?

I decided to try to make my own, and luckily I found a recipe on Pinterest that was just perfect.  I mean, I need easy.

If you've got some time and a large slow cooker you can easily make this recipe.  I do have to warn you that this recipe makes a lot.  So, I've been making recipes from Pinterest and I have yet to find one that I don't like.  Greek yogurt recipes are amazing. I would gladly make this amount of yogurt again, specifically so I can make other recipes with it.

Don't get me wrong, I love it for breakfast.  I've been trying all sort of different combinations.  Fresh and frozen fruit, granola, honey, peanut butter, maple syrup, etc.  I love them all.


(pictured above with blueberries, honey and cinnamon)

This is one of my best discoveries on Pinterest. Easy to do during the week while I'm homeschooling our daughter and easy to let culture while I'm sleeping.  Did I mention easy? No sugar added, no processed junk, no weird colors.

I'm in love with this one. I hope you can try it soon.



Homemade Greek Yogurt
Recipe From One Good Thing


Ingredients
  • 1 gallon whole milk
  • 2-3 cups powdered milk
  • 1/2 cup live culture yogurt
Cooking Directions
  1. Pour the milk into a large slow cooker (mine was 6 quart).
  2. Add the powdered milk (to up the proteins) and whisk to dissolve.
  3. Heat on low until it reached 180º.
  4. Turn the slow cooker off and let the milk cool to 95-115º.
  5. Put 1/2 cup of live culture yogurt into a small dish and add some of the warm milk to it, whisk until smooth and then add back to the slow cooker and whisk in.
  6. Put the milk into storage containers of any size you like. I used multiple sized mason jars.
  7. Place the jars in a cold oven with the oven light on and let sit for 8-12 hours (I did it overnight).
  8. Now place the yogurt into the refrigerator and let chill before using.

No comments: