July 13, 2016

Chia Chocolate Chip Cookies



My husband was at work one day, when his Captain pulled out a bag of little Chia Chocolate Chip Cookies and was telling my husband how wonderful they were.  They're healthy, gives him energy, curbs his appetite, and tastes delicious.  After my husband tried one, he called me to see if I could track down a recipe.  Which, of course, I could.  I mean, I practically live on Pinterest after all.

During the course of making these cookies I discovered how I didn't have all of the same ingredients the original recipe called for, so I substituted for what I did have. The important ingredient being Chia seeds, which I have plenty of.

Chia seeds are so very good for you.  They can puff up to more than double their size if left in a liquid, which means if you eat them as just a regular seed then they will fill you up, because of all that puffing up they do inside your stomach.  So, eat a cookie, wait, and soon you'll forget about being hungry.

You can make these to be dairy free (if you can find dairy free chocolate chips) or gluten free if you follow the original recipe.  Mine are neither, but they are delicious! I love the chewiness from the oatmeal and the slight coconut hint I got from the coconut oil.  Obviously the chocolate chips are obvious.  I'm loving this recipe.  Great flavor, and texture with the added bonus of filling you up when you're starving and getting all the added benefits of the oatmeal, chia seeds and coconut oil.  My husband will be taking these on his trips from now on.

Chia Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe modified from huffingtonpost


Dry Ingredients
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup brown pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup cake flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Wet Ingredients
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
Cooking Directions
  1. Mix the dry ingredients together and the wet ingredients together and then mix them together.
  2. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
  3. Preheat the oven to 355º, lightly oil a baking sheet.
  4. Roll the dough into golf ball sized pieces and then flatten half way.
  5. Bake for 12 minutes. Check on them in the oven and if they aren't spreading you might have to help them by pushing down on them with a fork.
  6. Bake for another 2-3 minutes or until very lightly golden.
  7. Cool completely on a wire rack before moving to a plate or storage container.

No comments: