February 16, 2011

Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies


I really didn't know what to expect with this cookie.  Actually, I had it in my head that this was going to be sort of a healthier type of cookie since there are only four ingredients.  I might have just been trying to make myself feel better.  I've never had much luck with meringue in the past so I made these thinking I might have to just throw them out.  Boy was I pleasantly surprised.  They are wonderful.  Easy to make, and so very good.  Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.  But, the crispiness is different then other cookies, its like biting into a very thin layer, and then there being air underneath until you get to the bottom and then it's a nice chewy layer.  Trust me, they are so good.



You won't believe how easy this is.  Preheat your oven to 224.  Start with three egg whites, and some cream of tarter in a mixing bowl.


Whisk on medium speed until it's foamy. Then, turn the mixer to high and add the sugar one Tbsp at a time and mix until it's very glossy and stiff.  About 3 minutes.



Perfect, look how nice and shiny it is.


Add the chocolate chips (sky's the limit with things you could add here). Fold them in gently.



You'll want to make the cookies about two Tablespoons full.  I just mounded it up on a large spoon.



Make sure that you're cookie sheet is lined with parchment paper - these will stick!



Aren't they beautiful?  I can't believe I made meringue!


Bake for 75 to 90 minutes.  I baked mine for about 80 minutes, until they are dry and firm. Cool completely on the baking sheet.



I can't tell you how happy I was with these, they just need to be experienced by you personally.  Please let me know if you love them as much as I do!

Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies - from Real Simple

Ingredients
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions
Heat oven to 225° F.

With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until foamy. Increase speed to high and gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue to beat until stiff and glossy, 2 to 3 minutes. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Drop mounds of the meringue mixture (each equal to 2 tablespoons) onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 1 inch apart. Bake until firm and dry, 75 to 90 minutes. Cool completely on the baking sheets.

No comments: