February 10, 2011

Easy Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese


I think I may have mentioned in the past about my super picky eater.  Well, she loves macaroni and cheese BUT she will rarely eat my homemade versions.  One of the reasons is because I usually buy the white cheddar and she's got it in her head that macaroni and cheese should be orange.  I'm not sure what the other reasons are really.  I try my hardest to stay away from the boxed variety (which I personally like very much) in order to try to keep it sort of healthy.  I usually lose this battle. 

In an effort to find something she'll eat, I stumbled upon this recipe.  It's very basic, it's orange, it seemed just up her alley. I gave it a try, and the verdict is?  She didn't hate it.  It sort of reminds me of Stouffers frozen macaroni and cheese which I find yummy and she will eat it about 75% of the time.  So, I consider this a win!


Grate up 10 ounces of sharp cheddar.  Whatever color your child will eat.



Melt some butter, slowly add the flour and cook for about a minute.  Then add the salt and pepper and the milk and cook until thickened.



Pour the grated cheese into the thickened cream sauce and mix well.



It doesn't take long to melt, just keep whisking.



Pour the sauce over the cooked noodles and then stir it up.



At first it seemed like there was way to much sauce for the amount of noodles I made, but after letting it sit for a short period of time it absorbed into the noodles and became much like the consistency of Stouffers frozen variety.  Very creamy, yet mild and perfect for kids (adults too).  Try this for your picky eater and let me know if its a hit or not.

I found this recipe here: Easy Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese

No comments: