March 16, 2011

Betty Crocker's Chocolate Brownies and Chocolate Buttercream Frosting


I'm sorry to do this to you, really I am.  I didn't mean to put this idea in your head, half way through the day when there's no real chance you can run home and make these.  However, you could make some of these when you get home; so you're welcome. :-)


This recipe calls for the 5 ounces of unsweetened baking chocolate, but I didn't have any.  However, I did have unsweetened Hershey's cocoa and on the back is the equivalent measurements.  Above is the powder and shortening and butter.  Melt this together.



All melted. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.



In a separate bowl combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla.  Beat on high for 5 minutes.  Now add the chocolate and beat on low until mixed, then add the flour mixture and beat just until blended.


Spread into a 9x9 inch greased pan.



Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 - 45 minutes. Let cool before frosting, or don't frost.  These are delicious just the way they are. Oh, and I opted out of the walnuts but you don't have to be like me.  You can add them if you want to.  I won't be upset.



I frosted with the Chocolate Buttercream recipe I found in the same Betty Crocker cookbook.  I  frosted them while they were still warm, which is why the frosting looks sort of runny.  I couldn't help it.
This recipe makes nice fudgy brownies, which I personally prefer over the cake like brownies I see sometimes.  It's not too rich, which might be a bad thing because my family plowed through these pretty quickly.

 From the Betty Crocker Cookbook

Brownie:
2/3 C margarine or butter
5 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, cut into pieces
1 3/4 C sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs
1 C all purpose flour
1 C chopped walnuts

Heat the oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of a square 9x9 inch pan with shortening.  I used cooking spray and it worked just fine.

Melt the margarine or butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat while stirring consistently.  Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.

Beat sugar, eggs, vanilla with a stand (or hand) mixer on high for 5 minutes.  Add the chocolate and beat on low until combined. Add the flour and beat just until mixed. Add the walnuts and stir in by hand.

Pour into the prepared dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or just until they start to pull away from the sides.  Cool completely.  Spread with frosting if desired.

Frosting:

3 C powdered sugar
1/3 C margarine or butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla
3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
2 to 3 Tbsp milk

Mix all the ingredients except milk in a medium bowl.

Stir in the milk until smooth and your desired consistency is reached.


No comments: