March 27, 2011

Homemade Peppermint Patties


Homemade Peppermint Patties.  Easy to make, and yummy.  I saw this recipe while browsing other food blogs and thought they'd be fun to try.  I really thought there would be more involved but it's pretty simple.


You'll need a can of sweetened condensed milk.



Powdered Sugar, and an assistant to take pictures with her Barbie camera.  Apparently I take a lot of pictures while I'm cooking - I have a mini food blogger in training.

You'll add the peppermint extract and some of the powdered sugar and combine it, then slowly add the rest of the powdered sugar until a pliable dough forms.  You want it to stay together so you can roll it into balls, but not so dry that it falls apart.




Use a spoon to scoop out a small amount to roll into a ball.  I rolled mine into balls about the size of a green grape.


Now is when you're supposed to flatten them out slightly.  I didn't do that because I liked how they looked when they were rounded on the top.



You will want to put the patties in the freezer for no longer then 30 minutes.  These unthaw quickly so separate them onto two trays and keep one frozen while you dip the others in chocolate.  Make the chocolate while the dough is in the freezer so you can work quickly.



Drop a patty into the chocolate



Use a fork to cover the chocolate and then pick it up and let the excess chocolate to drain off.  Scrape the bottoms a little before putting on the waxed paper.



Wax paper will help to keep these from sticking.  Once the chocolate is dry to the touch they are ready to eat.







The inside just melts in your mouth.  You get hit with that cool peppermint flavor, combined with the creaminess of the filling texture.  Just like the store bought kind.






This recipe makes quite a few, which I will share.  But I plan to eat most of them.

This recipe was found here: Homemade Peppermint Patties

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Those look delectable. Wish I had a whole batch of those right now. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your peppermint patties up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html