December 16, 2011

Heart Attack Pie


I got inspired to attempt my own version of a peanut butter pie.  I found a recipe here that made me want to try something just slightly different.  The only reason I didn't duplicate it completely was because I wanted the bottom chocolate layer to be softer, less fudge like.  The rest of the pie is just like the one I found on "Cookies and Cups".

I decided to name my pie Heart Attack Pie because "Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Cream Pie" seemed a bit long.  Don't you agree?


You start with a basic graham cracker crust.



I made a French Silk base.



Then I dumped almost a whole bag of "Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Mini's" into it. See where the heart attack part is coming from?



Mix those babies in really good now.



Spread into the pie shell and refrigerate while you make the next layer.  Yep, two layers.



Peanut butter layer in progress.



Carefully spread the peanut butter layer over the chocolate layer and then cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.



Decorate with some chocolate sauce and some cut up peanut butter cups.




I know right? Totally delish.  I brought this to my friends house it got rave reviews.  I had to sneak a piece home so my husband could try it.  Great mix of flavors and the peanut butter cups give you a nice unexpected surprise.  I think I need to experiment with even more layered pies. 

This recipe was modified from Cookies and Cups

Graham Cracker Crust:

9 graham crackers - crushed
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup sugar

French Silk Layer: 
Recipe found here

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup white sugar
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 prepared 8 inch pastry shell, baked and cooled
1-8 oz bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Mini's


Peanut Butter Mousse Layer:

1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
8 oz cream cheese - room temp
1 1/2 cups cool whip topping - thawed
1/4 cup melted chocolate - for drizzling

For the crust: Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.  Using a spring form pan or a pie dish, press the crumbs to the bottom (and sides if using a pie dish).  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes. 

While the crust cools, make the chocolate layer.  Melt the chocolate in the microwave or a double broiler.  Let the chocolate cool completely before using.  In a separate bowl, mix the butter and the sugar on medium speed until the mixture lightens in color.  Stir in the cooled chocolate and vanilla extract. Add the eggs one at a time beating for 5 minutes in between additions.  Remove from the stand mixer and add by hand the peanut butter cups.  Reserve several to use as a garnish. Mix in thoroughly and then spoon the filling into the baked pie shell and refrigerate.
**This portion of the recipe contains raw eggs, young children, pregnant woman and elderly people should not consume raw eggs**

While the chocolate layer is cooling, make the peanut butter layer. In the bowl of your stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) add the peanut butter, powdered sugar and cream cheese and mix well until smooth. 
Using a spatula, fold in the cool whip.  Add this to the cooled chocolate layer.  Refrigerate until ready to serve. 

To garnish, melt some chocolate chips or use a chocolate sauce and drizzle over the top in a pattern. Chop the reserved peanut butter cups and sprinkle on the top of the chocolate sauce.


No comments: