March 22, 2013

Black-Eyed Pea Salad



Every once in a while I make something that forces me to eat healthy.  This salad is one of those times.  It makes quite a bit of salad and therefore it's in the refrigerator staring at me every time I open it, reminding me to eat something good for myself.  Luckily it tastes really good and I don't mind.

I left out the red peppers that were in the original recipe because I didn't have any but that would have added a nice pop of color. I wouldn't leave out the red onion because it gives the black-eyed peas a nice  tang and a great texture.

Don't forget that there is no mayonnaise in this recipe, so it would be perfect for a picnic or road trip!

Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Recipe from GoodHousekeeping Family Vegetarian Cooking


Ingredients
  • 1 small red onion
  • 4 cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen green beans
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 large ripe tomatoes (optional)
Cooking Directions
  1. Cut the onion into small dices and place in a large bowl.
  2. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the tomatoes to the bowl with the onions and mix well.
  3. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours but overnight is best to blend flavors.
  4. To serve, cut the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and arrange on top of the salad.

No comments: