March 20, 2013

Triple Chocolate Donuts



I think that some of you might have guessed that one of my weaknesses is donuts (I have many).  I didn't grow up eating lots of donuts, they were a special treat we had every so often. In fact most of my life hasn't consisted of many donuts either, but then my husband bought me two donut pans for Christmas and I've been trying out new recipes ever since.

This recipe was specifically for my daughter because she loves all things chocolate. It's the one thing I don't every have to wonder if she'll eat or not. Sadly, she gets that from me.






Triple Chocolate Donuts
Recipe modified slightly from Mama's Gotta Bake


Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cups milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp vinegar (white or cider)
  • 1/2 cup melted butter or 1/3 cup shortening
  • 2 - 4 oz bars of good white chocolate
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Lightly grease two donut pans.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and white chocolate chips.
  4. In a small bowl mix together the eggs, milk vanilla and vinegar.
  5. Slowly combine the melted butter and the rest of the wet ingredients to the dry mixture.
  6. Spoon the batter in the donut pan filling each 3/4 full.
  7. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  8. After you remove the donuts from the oven, wait about 30 seconds and then run a knife around the edges of each donut and softly turn the pan over to drop the donuts onto a wire cooling rack.
  9. For sugar coated donuts, coat them immediately.
  10. For the white chocolate frosting, use a double boiler with water simmering beneath. Break the chocolate bar into small pieces and melt slowly stirring constantly.
  11. Grab one cooled donut and turn it upside down, dip in the melted chocolate and let cool on a wire rack.

No comments: