March 25, 2013

Easter Sunrise Bread



Easter is one of my favorite times of the year.  Bring on the nice weather, by now we're all ready for it right? I know some of you might still be buried under snow but rest assured it's coming to an end. I think. 

This Easter bread is perfect for Easter morning. I could be rising while the kids are doing their Easter egg hunt!


Fresh out of the oven!


 This glaze really puts the bread over the top.


The outside has a nice crust and the inside is soft and lovely. I think this bread sort of reminds me of a cross between Panettone bread and a cinnamon roll. Sweet bread accented by the raisins and candied orange peel.  I can see why it's called "Easter Sunrise Bread" because it's perfect for breakfast.  You could toast it up, make a french toast or just eat it plain. It's delicious.

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's approved by my daughter, seems silly but it's a big deal in this house.  Yet another thing I can get her to eat!


I've had this cookbook for YEARS!  I can't even remember how long I've had it but I'm pretty sure I've had it for longer than I've known my husband which has been 17 years!

I hope you're all gearing up for a Hoppy Easter....see what I did there? Hoppy? Yeah I'm very clever on Mondays especially. 

Easter Sunrise Bread
Recipe from Great American Home Baking


Ingredients
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup warm water (105 - 115 degrees F)
  • 1 1/4 cups lukewarm milk (95 - 105 degrees F)
  • 6 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 cup dark raisins or currants
  • 1/2 cup candied orange peel (I used slightly more because I didn't have candied lemon peel)
  • 1/2 cup candied lemon peel (I didn't have any)
  • 1/2 tsp orange or lemon extract
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 Tbsp orange juice
Cooking Directions
  1. Grease a 2 quart round or square baking dish, set aside.
  2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the yeast, 2 Tbsp of the sugar, and the warm water. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
  3. Using the paddle attachment, stir in the lukewarm milk, remaining sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, egg, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger. Mix well.
  4. Add the raisins, peels, and extract and mix well.
  5. on low speed begin adding the flour 1/2 cup at a time. At still dough should form.
  6. Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and put onto a well floured surface. Knead for 5-10 minutes, adding flour as needed to keep the dough from becoming sticky until the dough is smooth and elastic.
  7. Place the dough in a ball in the prepared baking dish and rub with 1 Tbsp of melted butter, cover loosely with a damp towel and place in a warm area. Leave for 1 1/2 hours until dough has doubled in size.
  8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  9. Brush the remaining butter on the top of the dough and bake for 50 - 60 minutes.
  10. Dough will be golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the top when it is done.
  11. Let sit for 5 minutes, after that time run a knife around the edges of the loaf to loosen it from the baking dish. Now turn the dough upside-down to remove from the dish and place on a cooling rack. Cool completely.
  12. When cool, mix the confectioners sugar and orange juice together until smooth and drizzle over the bread. Let the glaze set up for a few minutes before cutting.

No comments: