April 18, 2014

Popovers


Happy Good Friday everyone!  Easter is just around the corner so I thought I'd give you a fun idea to make with your kids.  This popover recipe was from my daughters cookbook "Cooking with Kids" from FamilyFun.  I know most of you out there probably don't have a popover pan and neither do I so I just used a cupcake pan instead.  I don't think they got as high as they would have with a regular popover pan but they tasted so good!  Just like I remember when my mom used to make them.

The outside was very flaky and the inside was sort of hollow and moist.  That's where you melt the butter and put the jam.  In case you were wondering.

My daughter had so much fun helping me, and that's what this recipe was all about anyway.  It's fun to get the kids in the kitchen with you.


Popovers
From FamilyFun Cookbook "Cooking with Kids"


Ingredients
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • scant 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp butter, melted
Cooking Directions
  1. Grease 6 muffin cups or a popover pan. Make sure to grease the rims too.
  2. In a medium bowl, or your stand mixer, whisk the eggs until frothy.
  3. Add the milk and whisk again.
  4. Next add the flour and the salt and whisk for 30 seconds, until smooth and lump free.
  5. Whisk in the melted butter and let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
  6. Preheat the oven to 425º and put the rack in the center position.
  7. Whisk that batter once more just before pouring it into the prepared pan. Pouring the batter into a 2 cup measuring cup will make pouring easier.
  8. Fill each cup 2/3 full of batter.
  9. Bake for 25 minutes and then reduce the heat to 375º  (350º for dark pans) and bake for another 10 minutes. DO NOT open the door to check on them.
  10. The popovers should be golden brown when done. When they have been removed from the oven, use a sharp knife to poke a tiny hole in the tops to let the steam escape.
  11. Let them cool in the pan for a couple of minutes before removing them.
  12. Carefully tear open and top as desired.

No comments: