May 16, 2014

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread


Oh thank goodness it's finally Friday.  Yea!  Do you have any big plans? 

Well, I do. Busy weekend ahead. 

My daughter just turned 6!  I know!  I can't believe it either.  Well, her party is scheduled for this weekend and I feel like I'm not prepared for it.  She threw me a curve ball when she said she didn't want cake or cupcakes for her party.  So, we're having an ice cream social instead.  Oh, did I forget to mention that she wants me to decorate sugar cookies? Do you want to guess how she wants me to decorate them? 

Nope, keep guessing. 

OK, I'll tell you.  Peacock….

What 6 year old chooses peacock for her theme I ask you!!

Well, I'll post some pictures but you all know that decorating is not my strong suit.  Wish me luck. 

Now on to today's recipe.  As usual I had banana's ripening on my counter, beyond the ripeness that you want to actually eat.  I didn't have some of the ingredients for my usual banana bread but I did have them all for this recipe.  I have to tell you.  I'm really thrilled with how it turned out.  Let's overlook the fact that I didn't exactly get the "swirl" in the middle of the bread.  It's more toward the upper 1/4 of the bread, oh well, it still tasted great. 

Its easy and you should have all these ingredients right in your pantry.  It's also nice that it just makes one loaf.  The cinnamon sugar gives the top a nice little crunch of sweetness.  Definitely a keeper. 

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
Recipe from Maybe Matilda


Bread
  • 3 overripe banana's, mashed
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 whole egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • dash of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Swirl
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
Glaze
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 Tbsp heavy cream
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray
  3. In a large bowl, mix the banana's, butter, both sugars, egg and vanilla extract.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
  5. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture, just until combined. Do not over mix.
  6. In a small bowl mix the swirl ingredients together.
  7. Pour half the batter into the prepared dish, sprinkle 2/3's of the swirl mixture evenly over the top, pour the remaining batter over that and then top with the rest of the swirl mixture.
  8. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  9. When completely cool, combine the glaze ingredients and drizzle over the top.

No comments: