Recently we had our cousin Michelle, from Boston, stay at our house for a day before heading back home. It was so nice to see her. We spent a day going to the zoo, then came home to this dinner. The following day we got some fresh strawberries. I'm telling you, these strawberries melt in your mouth. I just love them. We had planned to pick them ourselves but it turns out that they weren't picking that day. So we just made due with some already picked one's they had available.
Michelle doesn't necessarily like spicy food, but she told me about a recipe that she tried while she was on a visit to California that seemed easy enough to make. So I did my best, and it turned out great! I'm happy to say that we have another favorite in our household.
If you happen you like a lot of spice you could certainly add some of your favorite peppers or hot sauce to spice things up.
Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
From Alissamay's Kitchen
- package of 10 flour tortilla's
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cooked, shredded or diced
- 1 package (2 cups) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 can green chili's, do not drain
- 1 jar (16 oz) Salsa Verde
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Spray a 9x13 inch dish with cooking spray
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chicken, black beans, corn, and green chili's and mix well.
- Place approximately 1/2 cup of the mixture onto the middle of one tortilla, top with a little cheese and a spoonful or two of Salsa Verde.
- Pull in the sides of the wrap, and then roll the top half of the tortilla over the top and tuck it under while rolling forward so the enchilada is formed into a nice tight roll.
- Place seam side down in the dish and continue until all the enchiladas are done.
- Pour the remaining Salsa Verde over the top of the wraps and then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the tops are just beginning to turn golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for a minute before serving.
- Top with sour cream, cilantro, hot sauce or whatever you like.