May 5, 2014

Gaia Cookies



Yea, these are good cookies.

I mean the list of ingredients is everything that I like, but I put it to the test with my daughter, and guess what? She liked them.  I didn't tell her there was coconut and walnuts in there.  She wouldn't have even given them a chance if I had done that. I pretty much had her after "chocolate chips" anyway.

Where as these cookies are much flatter then other cookies, I find that they are still chewy and hold together well when cooled.  I'm not going to tell you that they are a gorgeous looking cookie, but their taste makes up for it.

I used raisins and craisins for the "dried fruit" portion of the recipe but I really can't wait to try it with some of the other suggestions. Dried cherries is pretty much all I can think about right now.

I got this recipe from one of the books I read recently, Bread & Wine, where it was indicated that the author got/duplicated this recipe from a favorite place that she used to visit.  I was curious about what the word Gaia meant.  According to wikipedia, Gaia was in Greek Mythology "The personification of Earth", "The great creator of all", "The Primal Greek Mother Goddess".  So, this cookie is under a little bit of pressure don't you think? I certainly can see how it got the name.  It does seem like it's got all good things from the earth in it.  Maybe by eating them you begin to feel more Goddess like? I don't know but I've eaten about 10 so far and I don't feel much different.  Well my clothes might be a little tighter...


Gaia Cookies
Recipe from Bread & Wine page 211


Ingredients
  • 2 sticks butter at room temperature.
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
  • 1 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped dates, raisins, dried cherries or cranberries or any combination
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350º
  2. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  3. Cream together the butter and brown sugar
  4. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. 
  5. Add flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mix well. 
  6. Add the coconut, walnuts, chocolate chips and whichever dried fruit you are using.  Mix well. 
  7. Drop by Tbsp onto the prepared cookie sheets. 
  8. Refrigerate so the dough is cold - 10 minutes or so.
  9. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden. 

No comments: