October 8, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Bolognese



How is your week going so far? Mine is busy but I'm very happy to get out and enjoy the nice fall weather. The leaves are just starting to turn and the nights are cool.  It makes me happy.

Time to start breaking out some of the recipes I've been wanting to try.  This one is also compliant with my diet so it's a win win.

I've tried spaghetti squash in the past and just didn't like it that much, but this time I really enjoyed it.  I'm glad I tried it again.  My husband is a big squash eater and he ranked this one up there with his favorite butternut squash.

Spaghetti squash is sort of a pain to cut in half.  I wish I could give you some ideas about how to make it easier but I struggled with it myself.  Luckily you only have to cut this one in half lengthwise and then you're done. I especially loved the bolognese.  Full of big flavors that melded together perfectly.  Great, healthy dinner that feels like you're splurging.  Definitely a keeper.

Spaghetti Squash Bolognese
Recipe from Practical Paleo page 280


Ingredients
  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • sea salt and black pepper to taste
  • 2 Tbsp bacon fat or butter
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 1 large carrot, finely diced
  • 1 stalk celery, finely diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 4 slices bacon, chopped
  • 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
  • 3 oz (half a small can) tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
  • sea salt and black pepper to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the oven to 375º
  2. Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and clean out the seeds from the middle.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lay face down on a baking sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes.  It's done when the the flesh can easily be pulled away from the skin. Place the cooked spaghetti squash in a bowl and set aside until the bolognese is done. 
  3. While the squash is cooking, start the bolognese. 
  4. In a large skillet, add the bacon fat or butter to the pan, then add the diced onion, carrots and celery.  Cook until the vegetables are slightly translucent and beginning to become tender.  Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. 
  5. Add the beef, pork and bacon and cook until browned. 
  6. Add the coconut milk and tomato paste (and white wine if using). 
  7. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes.  Taste and then add salt and pepper as needed. 
  8. To serve, add some spaghetti squash "noodles" to a dish and top with the bolognese. 

No comments: