November 24, 2014

Apple and Yam (Sweet Potato) Casserole


I can't believe that Thanksgiving is almost here.  I am so unprepared.  As usual.

I always vow to stay out of all retail stores until the middle of January beginning the day after Thanksgiving.  The Internet is my friend.

That does not hold true for the grocery store though, there is no avoiding that.  Luckily I can sneak in when most others are at work and avoid most of the crowds.

This recipe is one of those that I love and appreciate. I love it because I love the combination of apples and sweet potatoes with the lovely syrup made with orange juice and spices. I appreciate it because the two main ingredients can be bought well in advance and they last a long time. Therefore avoiding the crowds just a little bit more.  But even if you have to run out into all that mess you won't regret it.  These flavors have become some of what I look forward to the most during the holidays.  The spices and sweetness of the apples and sweet potatoes with that little hint of orange juice in the background is a favorite of mine.

Apple and Yam Casserole
Recipe from Favorite Brand Name Old Fashioned Holiday Recipes page 102


Ingredients
  • 2 large yams or sweet potatoes
  • 2 large golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 Tbsp walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)
Cooking Directions
  1. Precook the yams or sweet potatoes until they are tender, let cool. You can either cook in the oven at 400º for 50 minutes or by poking holes in them and using the microwave.
  2. In a small casserole dish, layer the apples and sweet potatoes.
  3. In a small saucepan combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, ground cloves and orange juice. Heat over medium heat until thickened and then pour over the apples and yams. Sprinkle with nuts if using.
  4. Bake at 350º for 20 minutes.

No comments: