November 10, 2014

Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies



If you're like me and you have a ton of these little kisses left over from Halloween, this cookie is a great use for them. 

This recipe is by no means new.  I've been eating this cookie for as long as I can remember.  I think it's been a staple at most of the picnic's and pot lucks that I've ever gone to.  The recipe is usually displayed right on the back of the Hershey Kiss package, but I tore mine and couldn't read it.  So here it is, ready for you anytime you are.

If you're a peanut butter and chocolate fanatic like most of us are, you will love this recipe.  I did also do one small bit of experimenting with this recipe, I used natural refrigerated peanut butter.  You know, the kind you have to stir.  I think they still turned out just fine.  My husband prefers them to the kind you would make using a non-refrigerated peanut butter.  He says that the peanut butter flavor is better although I noticed that there is a difference in texture.  Mine were still soft but not really "chewy".  They tended to break apart a littler easier than the kind made with the other peanut butter. Not that they were falling apart, they weren't at all.

I know that some recipes very specifically will say you cannot use natural refrigerated peanut butter, but in this case I think it was just fine.

A classic cookie recipe!

Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
Recipe from Hersheys.com


Ingredients
  • 48 Hershey's Kisses
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 whole egg
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • additional granulated sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the oven to 375º.
  2. Remove the wrappers from the kisses and set aside. 
  3. Mix the shortening and both sugars in the bowl of your stand mixer or a large mixing bowl until light and well mixed. 
  4. Add the egg, milk, vanilla and mix well. 
  5. In a medium bowl add the flour, baking soda and salt and then gradually add it to the wet ingredients.  
  6. Use a teaspoon to grab a little dough about 1 inch in size and roll into a ball.  Roll the ball around in some additional granulated sugar and place on a ungreased baking sheet. 
  7. Bake for 8-10 minutes and as soon as you take them out of the oven press one Hershey's Kiss into the center. Let sit for a few minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. 
  8. Makes about 4 dozen cookies. 

No comments: