This recipe is by no means new. I've been eating this cookie for as long as I can remember. I think it's been a staple at most of the picnic's and pot lucks that I've ever gone to. The recipe is usually displayed right on the back of the Hershey Kiss package, but I tore mine and couldn't read it. So here it is, ready for you anytime you are.
If you're a peanut butter and chocolate fanatic like most of us are, you will love this recipe. I did also do one small bit of experimenting with this recipe, I used natural refrigerated peanut butter. You know, the kind you have to stir. I think they still turned out just fine. My husband prefers them to the kind you would make using a non-refrigerated peanut butter. He says that the peanut butter flavor is better although I noticed that there is a difference in texture. Mine were still soft but not really "chewy". They tended to break apart a littler easier than the kind made with the other peanut butter. Not that they were falling apart, they weren't at all.
I know that some recipes very specifically will say you cannot use natural refrigerated peanut butter, but in this case I think it was just fine.
A classic cookie recipe!
Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
Recipe from Hersheys.com
- 48 Hershey's Kisses
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- additional granulated sugar
- Heat the oven to 375º.
- Remove the wrappers from the kisses and set aside.
- Mix the shortening and both sugars in the bowl of your stand mixer or a large mixing bowl until light and well mixed.
- Add the egg, milk, vanilla and mix well.
- In a medium bowl add the flour, baking soda and salt and then gradually add it to the wet ingredients.
- Use a teaspoon to grab a little dough about 1 inch in size and roll into a ball. Roll the ball around in some additional granulated sugar and place on a ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and as soon as you take them out of the oven press one Hershey's Kiss into the center. Let sit for a few minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
- Makes about 4 dozen cookies.