December 11, 2014

Brigadeiro (Brazilian Truffle)


My daughter recently started taking some jiu jitsu classes, and because of that I got interested in Brazilian foods.  I'm weird like that.

Anyways, I discovered this amazing looking truffle with only three main ingredients and I immediately knew that I'd be making them, and soon.

My opportunity showed itself when my friends and I decided on a day to get together to do our annual "baking day".  We usually try to fit it in a week or two before Christmas.  We each make three things and then we split it all three ways.  So in the end we all walk away with 9 items that we can either gift out, share for Christmas or just sit in a corner and eat all by ourselves.  Of course I would NEVER do that last option.  I don't know why I even brought it up, really.  But if you were to do that, I would not judge you. At all.

So like I was saying.  I made these truffles not really knowing what to expect.  The mixture is pretty soft so I stuck it in the refrigerator to make them easier to roll into a ball.  They were still pretty sticky so I oiled up my hands and rolled them that way.  That worked but it was still pretty messy. You can roll them in just about anything but I just stuck to some good ol' fashioned chocolate sprinkles (jimmies) and they were DEVINE!  Really.  The concoction never really gets solid so I kept mine in the refrigerator and when I wanted something sweet I just grabbed one.  They do become much less messy after some refrigerator time and of course once they are rolled around in something.  Even after a couple of days in the refrigerator (in an airtight container) they were soft and delicious.  Wonderful chocolate flavor without being too powerful.  They are soft like biting into a soft fudge would be. It sort of pulls a little when you bite it.  Smoothness personified.  It only takes a few minutes to make the mixture and then a little time to let it cool down.  They are messy to roll but so worth it.  Just keep a little bowl of warm water nearby and that will help.

I LOVE them.  To be added to my list of favorites for sure.

Brigadeiro (Brazilian Truffle)
Recipe from AllRecipes.com


Ingredients
  • 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
Cooking Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken. About 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool until cool enough to handle. Form into balls and roll in your choice of toppings.
  2. Topping suggestions: Sweetened coconut flakes, chopped nuts, sprinkles, cocoa powder, crushed up candies like peppermints or toffee. 

No comments: