December 18, 2014

Holiday Baking Day



A little tradition that some of my neighbors and I do every year is a baking day a couple of weeks before Christmas.  This year it was me, Melissa and Emily all crowded together in my kitchen surrounded by sugar and laughing our heads off.  Such a fun day. 

In case you're wondering what we do, here are the perimeters. 
  • We each plan to make three things
  • We usually have at least one and sometimes two "no bake" items that can be done on the stove top or just in a mixing bowl. 
  • We bring all of our own supplies, that includes trays, mixers, measuring cups and ingredients. 
  • If you're super on top of things you can even make the dough or whatever before arriving so there is less to do once you get there.  
  • Since the event was at my house I went ahead and baked my cookies before everyone else arrived so they could have the oven. 
  • I also provided some healthy snacks and some not so healthy snacks for us to eat while baking in hopes that we wouldn't fill up on only sugar.
  • At the end of the day we split all the things we made into thirds and share - then you end up with 9 items that you can either gift out, eat or freeze and save for your Christmas guests. 





Brigadeiro (Brazilian Truffle)
Recipe from AllRecipes.com

One of my new favorites.  I love for so many reasons but it only having three ingredients is a big one. Also, the texture is so very smooth and chocolaty.  This truffle never really gets hard even in the refrigerator. 




Peppermint Meltaways
Recipe from Taste of Home

This was the first time trying this cookie and I wasn't disappointed.  I love peppermint and the cookie itself really does melt in your mouth.  The candy on top is a must for me, I love the crunchy little peppermint bite. 


Buttery Caramel Sauce

I've made this before and the reason I made it again was because it's so delicious.  I can ALWAYS think of something to add caramel to.  I just doubled the recipe and sent my friends home with their own jars.  This makes a great gift to give away but don't forget to keep some for yourself!



Cinnamon Sugar Chex Mix

These are advertised as addictive, and they are.  They seem so unassuming just sitting there in their little bowl.  Then you try one.  Then you can't stop. 



Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

This little goodie was made by Melissa.  I now you've probably seen or tasted them before but they are amazing.  The cookie portion is nice and chewy just like I like them and of course it doesn't hurt that you bite into a peanut butter cup too.  So darn good. 



Honeycomb

Seriously one of my new all time favorites.  I don't know how I've survived this long without having this before.  It sort of reminds me of peanut brittle without the peanuts.  Only the texture is slightly different because of all those air pockets.  It's crunchy but not break your teeth crunchy.  I need to make them myself ASAP. Thanks Emily for introducing me to these, and my dentist thanks you too. 



Swig Sugar Cookies

Emily made these yummies.  I love how they are so soft that they practically melt in your mouth. Oh and that sour cream frosting is devine.

(I'm lame and I forgot to get a close up picture of this one.)  It is pictured at the very top of the page though and this website below has excellent pictures.  Sorry!



No comments: