December 3, 2014

Cry Babies



OK, now that my tree is up it officially feels like Christmas is right around the corner.  And as usual I feel unprepared. My calendar is filling up fast and I'm trying not to get overwhelmed.  I know you are probably experiencing similar feelings.

One of the things that is coming up that I'm so excited for is baking day with some friends.  We do it every year and it's always such a good time.  I have such a long list of things I want to make that I knew it wouldn't really matter if I went ahead and made these early.  I was dying to taste them!

This cookie is full of flavor.  It's texture is cakey but it has the strong molasses flavor and the three little chocolate chips on top give it just a kick of sweetness.  They are already sweet of course but not overly so.  The color is dark and almost makes you think they are a chocolate cookie.  The make your house smell really good while they are baking.

My family loved this cookie.  I'm not a huge cakey cookie person but I enjoyed the flavor a lot.  Great with a big glass of milk (as my husband always says). Perfect for the holidays because of the nice spicy flavor from the molasses.  Perfect for your holiday table.

Cry Babies
Recipe from The State Hometown Cookbook Series, South Carolina Hometown Cookbook page 190
originally called Jack's Favorite Cry Babies.


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup margarine or butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark molasses
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 whole egg, beaten
  • chocolate chips
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the butter and sugar and beat. Add the molasses, ginger, cinnamon and flour and mix.
  3. Use a small saucepan to heat the water to a boil and then add the baking soda. Pour into the flour mixture. Mix until smooth.
  4. Add the egg.
  5. Use a cookie scoop or two spoons to scoop a decent sized amount onto a greased cookie sheet. About the size of a golf ball.
  6. Place three chocolate chips in the center (pointy side up)
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until firm to the touch.

No comments: