It's getting a little warm in our neck of the woods to be making soup but this one is too darn delicious to pass up. Simple and easy ingredients that you probably have most of in your refrigerator already. You can make this spicy or mild depending on the sausage you use. I used a sweet sausage so my daughter would eat it, and she did!
So comforting and just like you would get from Olive Garden. This version is fairly quick and can be on your table in less than and hour.
Make sure to get some good ol' crusty bread from your super market or try this recipe if you know you're making this one in advance. So good!
Pasta e Fagioli (Olive Garden Copycat)
Recipe by Damn Delicious
- 1 cup ditalini pasta (or other small pasta)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large stock pot or a dutch oven. Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink. Crumble it as you cook it. Drain off the excess grease and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil, onions, garlic, carrots and celery to the pot cook until tender about 3-4 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pot with the vegetables.
- Whisk in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender. About 15-20 minutes.
- Add both beans and heat through and then serve hot.